Instant Lasagna

Something came over me to just pick up the package of instant lasagna at Carrfour that day. And I'm glad I did cos when we got home and wanted to cook spaghetti that night, I realised we ran out of it! So I tried making lasagna instead. I must say that it is really easy and tasty too!


Ingredients (serves 4 adults):
1/2 pack of San Remo Instant Lagsana (No need to precook the pasta sheets! Really convenient)
330g minced beef (topside)
Favourite red sauce (I used a combi of tomato puree and Pregos)
White onions
2 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp butter, melted
11/2 cup milk
150g cheese (I used a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella)
Dollops of Marscapone cheese (optional, I used it just cos I had it in the fridge)

Seasoning (Use your favourite pasta seasonings):
Italian seasoning mix
dried minced onions
salt
black pepper



Method:
Meat Sauce:
Fry the chopped onions till soft and caramelised
Add minced beef and fry till cooked
Add tomato puree/ red sauce
Add seasonings to taste

Cheese sauce:
melt butter and stir in flour to make a roux
remove from heat and stir in milk
return to low fire and add cheese (cheddar & mozzarella), stir until melted

Assembly:
layer 1: half cup meat sauce. spread to cover entire bottom of bakeware
layer 2: lasagna sheets (press it into the sauce so that it can soak up the liquid during baking)
layer 3: meat sauce
layer 4: cheese sauce + dollops of mascarpone cheese
Repeat layer 2 - 4 to make about 4 layers in total.
Layer right at the top should be the cheese layer.
Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese.

Bake for about 30min at 170 degC or until a fork can poke right through.


Note:
The pasta will expand when cooked, so there is no need to make sure that the pan is covered end to end with the pasta sheets.
I alternated the direction of the sheets at the different layers so that the lasagna holds it shape when cut.
I have 2 leftover portions in the freezer. I'm quite sure it is totally freezer friendly, but will update when I thaw it out for the next meal!

Updated: Totally freezable. Though I would suggest having more red sauce on the side to put over the frozen lasagna before it goes back into the oven. Or alternative, extra red sauce to pour over the reheated lasagna.

This is the brand of instant lasagna I used.


Prior to putting it into the oven.
Fresh from the oven.

Comments