Sago with gula melaka


I love the smell and taste of gula melaka. And even though I'm not crazy over sago, I'll eat it just cause' I'll get to eat it with the this fragrant palm syrup.

Ingredients
Dried sago beads (1 pkt)
Gula melaka (about 4 3" pieces)
30ml water (depending on how thick you like your syrup to be)
Pinch of salt
Coconut milk (fresh or packaged is fine, I used Kara brand)

Sago Preparation (Tapioca flour beads)
Bring a pot of water to boiling.
Add the dried sago and boil till the become transparent.
Drain and wash under the tap a few times to remove excess starch.
Set aside in to cool.





Preparation of the Palm Sugar Syrup
Chop the gula melaka blocks into smaller pieces
Over a very low fire/ double boiler, melt the gula melaka pieces in about 30ml of water. Do not let it boil over.
Add a pinch of salt to offset the sweetness.
Set aside to cool.

Assembly
Drizzle the sugar syrup and coconut milk over the sago and serve immediately.
Or cool sago, syrup and coconut milk in the fridge, assemble and serve cold.
Note:
The syrup thickens when refrigerated. Add water to thin it if desired. 

This is how I transport everything to a party/ work to share the good stuff!


 

Comments

  1. I've never had this before. I'm going to have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'm sorry I just saw your comment! :P Try it, it's delicious!!

      Delete

Post a Comment