Cake Box Chocolate Zucchini Cake

I had a box of devil's food cake mix sitting around waiting for me to use it up and I've always wanted to try a zucchini cake. And this was a hit with the boys (maybe they were just really hungry). It was a tad dry cos I didn't follow the box instructions to add the 11/4 water because the other recipe I followed had an extra egg and with the extra zucchini added, I thought it would have been ok. So note to self: to increase moisture content the the next time around. A great recipe to put a little more fibre into our diet. *Small fry took a bite before I could snap a shot*

Ingredients:
1 box Devil's Food Cake
4 eggs
3/4 cup oil
2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup milk (*updated)

Method:
Add eggs, oil to cake mix and mix according to instructions. (low 30s, high 2min)
Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips
Bake at 180 degC for 40min (or until toothpick comes up clean)

Optional:
chopped nuts may be added
maybe a little greek yoghurt frosting will increase the moisture
Note: may have to add in a little more moisture (i.e. 1 - 11/4 cup water/milk)

*updated:
Made it again (22 Oct 2014) with 2 mid sized zucchinis which, when shredded came up to a little more than 2 cups.
Used Betty Crocker's Fudge cake mix instead of Devil's food cake mix.
Added 3/4 milk, and this made the cake more moist.
The boys loved it!

Comments