Pull-apart Garlic Bread

This is the first time I've tried making bread. The outside turned out crusty but the inside was still nice and soft. I suspect it is because (1) I didn't quite measure the ingredients properly, because I didn't have anything (no mixer, no measuring spoons) and (2) the oven was a little too hot and had rather uneven heating. The garlic on the surface was a little burnt, but nonetheless, the inside of the bread tasted good. And so, this is a recipe worth keeping and worth trying again.

The original recipe came from Rasa Malaysia. You can find the original recipe here.

Here's my agaration one (exact measurements from original recipe in brackets):

Ingredients for the bread dough:
5g dried yeast (1 tsp)
1/2 cup warm water
1 tbsp white sugar
15g softened butter (1 tbsp)
1/2 cup milk
1 flat teaspoon salt (need to reduce this a little. Bread was a bit salty)
375g bread flour (3 cups)

Topping (mix everything together):
56g melted butter (4 tbsp)
pinch of salt (which I forgot to add)
finely chopped herbs (parsley) I used a bit of thyme today
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

Method for dough (supposed to use a mixer with a dough hook. I had neither):
In a bowl, sprinkle yeast and sugar over the warm water.
set aside for about 5-10 min (or until the yeast froths and foams)

Mix in butter, milk, salt and stir in the flour gradually.
Knead for 7-10 min.
Dough should stick to the bottom of bowl but clears the sides.
Divide the dough into smalll equal round balls. (I had about 16 balls)

Dip each ball into the melted butter/garlic/ herb mixture.
Arrange the dough balls onto a tray.
Cover and allow to rise until it doubles in size (1hour)

Bake at 170degC (350degF) for 30min (note to self: should bake at about 170-175degC)







Comments