Crockpot Rotisserie-styled Whole Chicken



I was surfing around looking for easy to cook recipes and decided to see if I can do anything with the crockpot that I have at home. I've always only used the crockpot to make chinese soups and the children's porridge when they first starting eating and I must have kept the crockpot away for about 1-2 years. As I'm hoping (and pretty determined) to serve more homecooked and nutritious meals to my family, especially with 2 growing boys, I thought I'd start looking around to see how I can make use of the crocks to prepare easy meals so that we can eat at home more. Searching for "crockpot"cooking lead me to A Year of Slow Cooking and I thought I had hit the jackpot! This whole chicken recipe came from there with some modifications here and there.




Ingredients: 
A whole chicken that can fit into your crockpot.
Your favourite seasoning - I used the McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning here.
1 whole onion, halved
1/3 cup water
1/2 tbsp butter
Easy peasy ingredients eh??!! :P

Method:
Stuff bits of butter under the skin at the breast
Rub the seasoning all over the chicken
Stuff the onion into the cavity
Place bird into the crockpot and turn crockpot on low for about 8-9 hours or on high for about 4-5 hours.
Forget about it till dinner!

The key to the chicken not disintegrating into its own juices is to prop it up. A video on allrecipes.com rolled up balls of aluminum and threw them into the pot and used it to prop the chicken. I simply used one of my metal round steaming racks and placed the bird on it and it works. :)

End result? A wonderfully tender and juicy chicken that the boys love!! :D


Update (21 May 2011):
Here's a much nicer looking version on my 2nd try. I used the same seasoning but added half a lemon into the cavity together with the onion. I served it with roasted vegetables.


Comments